You are cordially invited to Black Self-Determination through Health Care and Nursing: The Provident Hospital Training School half-day conference, which celebrates the Legacy of Provident Hospital and Training School on Friday, February 8, 2013, at the Chicago State University Library (4th floor). This half-day conference is sponsored by the Chicago State University Archives and Special Collections and Chicago State University Library. (See details below.)
11:30 Registration/ Coffee
12:00-1:45 Black Hospitals, Black Nurses, and Provident Hospital Luncheon---4th Floor Atrium
· Lisa Young, Director, Wellness/Health Center at Chicago State University
· Ronald Sims, Special Collections Librarian at the Galter Health Sciences Library- Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University “Daniel Hale Williams, MD: His Legacy of African-American Interns at Provident Hospital…the Northwestern Experience”
· Dr. Burlean Burris, Author and Graduate of Provident Nursing School
· Dr. Carol Alexander, President and CAO of Coalition of African American Nurses
2:00-4:00 Panel Discussion Status of Black Health Care and Health Education in Chicago---Auditorium
· Dr. Regina Conway-Phillips, Assistant Professor at the Niehoff School of Nursing Loyola University-Chicago
· Dr. Jorge Alberto Girotti, Associate Dean & Director Admissions, Special Curricular Programs at University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
·Thomas Lyons, Director, HIV/AIDS Research and Policy Institute and Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Studies at Chicago State University
- Tour of Archives and Special Collections/ Exhibit (4th and 3rd floor)
4:30- Reception Sunroom
This event is free and open to the public, parking on campus is $5.00.
Please RSVP to Aaisha Haykal via e-mail at ahaykal [at] csu [dot] edu or phone at 773-995-3843.